A fat lip can be caused by an injury, from a blow or cut, or bee sting or an insect bite. It can also occur due to allergic reactions to insect bites. Your lips may change color in the process, this happens due an infection or allergy. Before you start treating a fat lip, check the extent of the injury and the damage caused. If it was caused by a cut or blow then the inside of your mouth could be hurt as well. If there is any damage to the teeth or gums then you may have to seek medical help to treat it effectively.
If the lip has not been seriously damaged then you can treat it with some easy home remedies and the lip will heal in a day or two.
- Mix some honey, butter and the pulp off an apple to make a thick paste. Apply this on to your injured lip for at least half an hour and then wash off with water. This provides a soothing effect on the lips and cures the swelling.
- Wrap ice cubes in a cloth and use it like a cold compress on your lips. This will provide relief and lessen the pain. Apply the compress twice or thrice a day.
- To water, add a few drops of grapefruit seed extract. This is an excellent disinfectant and can be used to wash your lips.
- Mix butter with honey or mix castor oil with honey and apply on the lips. This will help speed the process of healing.
- To cure minor gashes, apply diluted tea tree oil and aloe vera on the lips. Alternatively, use arnica oil.
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and will speed up the healing process. Apply a mixture of turmeric and a teaspoon of glycerin on the lips.
- Mix honey and a teaspoon of gooseberry bark, finely powdered. Apply this on your lips and it will heal a fat lip effectively.
- Mix lavender or peppermint essential oil, a few drops, in any vegetable oil like sunflower, pumpkin seed, coconut or olive oil and apply. This will heal and relieve pain.
- Apply white petroleum jelly or Vaseline on the lips. It will keep infection out and seal the damaged skin, in case your fat lip is a result of an injury.
- Soak a tea bag for few minutes in warm water. Take it out and place it on your lips once it has cooled down. This will reduce the swelling effectively.
- Mix turmeric powder and Fuller’s earth with water and apply this paste over your lips. This will relieve the swelling and speed up healing.
- To aid the process of healing, gargle with saline water.
- You can get some relief by using vitamin E oil on the lips.
- Squeeze the juice of a grate potato and apply on your lips to heal.
Drink a lot of water to keep your lips moisturized all the time.